Unfortunately, it’s very easy to fall prey to some simple plumbing mistakes, that can end up costing more time and money down the road.
There are a lot of simple plumbing problems that occur around the home, with some homeowners trying to fix the problem on their own rather than calling out a Sydney plumber. Did you know that even the simplest fixes can lead to some costly mistakes? Here are a few common Do It Yourself plumbing mistakes – and how to fix them.
- Using too much drain cleaner – commercial drain cleaners are great to use to clear away clogs and helping to reduce built-up residue, however using these products too much, or using too much of them, can damage your drains or blocked drain. Drain cleaners use harsh chemicals to break up solid waste and clean the pipes, but, overusing these products can eat away at the walls of your pipes – metal and PVC. Why not use a pipe snake instead?
- Using drain cleaners in the wrong places – you need to be careful WHERE you use these products, even if you rarely use them. Most cleaning products are safe to use in the bathroom and kitchen sink, shower, bathtub and toilets but they can be damaging if you use the wrong type of cleaner. To avoid problems read all the safety plumbers directions BEFORE using them.
- Mismatching your pipes – minor leaks that are visible; such as those under a bathroom or kitchen sink are run of the mill DIY projects most handymen or women undertake at home. When replacing a leaky pipe, many DIY’ers choose the wrong size or type, or try to make the pipes fit using the wrong connectors. For example, you should never try and connect galvanised with copper pipes or you risk corrosion. You must also use a proper connector and sealant, just because two pipes seem tight, doesn’t mean they will hold water. Always double check the type of pipe and connector you need.
- Not turning off the water – when a pipe springs a leak, or a tap starts dripping it’s easy to forget the first rule of DIY plumbing – Turn OFF the Water! No matter what the repair is, or how important it is, always shut off the water. Leaving the water on and disconnecting a pipe could cause a flood and cost you more than time.
- Not calling a professional plumber – while there are some jobs you can take on, any repair that is above your ability, requires cutting into the wall or floors or accessing the main water line is best handled by an emergency plumber. While the cost of hiring a pro can put some people *off* the money paid is well worth the assurance that the job has been properly completed.
If you have any plumbing issues, call your Sydney plumbers today on 1300 896 508.
Everybody wants to save money, and when you save water, you are saving money. The good news is you don’t have to do anything *drastic* just a few simple changes will have a significant impact.
• Find and fix any leaks – constantly running toilets and dripping taps can be fixed at home, often without the need to call a plumber. Drips are wasting water, and
if you think you have a hidden leak, then it’s time to call your plumber on 1300 896 508 and have the issue looked at professionally.
• Water saving tapware – if it’s time to replace some of your taps with plumbers, or your shower head WELS water efficiency ratings are an excellent way to compare products. The more stars on the label, the less water will be used and the more you will save. You could also look at having flow controllers or aerators installed on existing tapware to reduce your water usage.
• Water efficient appliances – the WELS rating also applies to water using appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines. Some newer dishwashers can use as little as half the water of some older models.
• Only run full loads – this applies to wash machines and dishwashers, run these appliances when they are full, rather than half full, as it is both more energy and water efficient.
• Water efficient toilets – all new toilets come with the half-flush water saving option, which can save families – especially large families, thousands of litres of water per year. If you have an older toilet with a full-flush only cistern, there are some devices available that can be installed in your cistern to reduce the amount of water used for each flush.
• Minimise running water – always turn taps off when you are brushing your teeth, you can also save a good amount of water by washing your fruit and vegetables in a basin or dish of water, or with the plug in the sink, rather than under running water.
• Reduce your time in the shower – this is a pretty simple water saving tip. Try and encourage everyone in your home to take shorter showers, even if it’s only a minute less. Putting a timer in the bathroom is a great way to help keep everyone on track.
• Catch your cold water – use a bucket to catch the first lot of cold water that comes through when running a bath or shower, you can then use the water on your garden.
• Install a water tank – collecting and re-using water is an effective way to reduce your water usage, you can even have the rainwater tank diverted, so when you flush the toilet, the tank water is used, or you can use your tank to water the garden or wash the car.
If you are having any water issues, leaks, blockages etc., call your plumber on 1300 896 508 to assess the problem for you.
Plumbers Direct is a family owned and operated emergency plumbing service that has been operating for over 25 years. Our team work hard, and we are here to help you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No job is too big or too small, and we offer FREE call outs. You are under no obligation to choose us once we have given you a free quote.
Call us today on 1300 896 508 to arrange a call out.
Life isn’t always easy, and it can be a struggle when an unexpected and unwanted problem pops up. To help out we have regular special offers, our two current promotions are –
- $50.00 off the total cost of your job when you quote SAVE50
- For Pensioners we offer a 15% discount – this is 15% forever!
Our business is based in Sydney and run by husband and wife team Anthony and Tanya. This business was built from the ground up with a lot of hard work, and today is a highly regarded business. We care about our clients and customers and also about the community. Plumbers Direct is a proud supporter of the Starlight Foundation, so when you fix your plumbing you are also helping sick kids.
Calling out a plumber can be daunting enough, we don’t want to make that any harder. Anthony is a country man at heart and brings with him those old-fashioned values; an honest day’s work, for an honest day pay, with a down to earth personality that puts customers at ease.
Customers appreciate our caring approach and friendly, open and honest nature, it’s a formula that has seen us in business for a quarter of a century.
Not only do we have great specials, we also provide an emergency call out service. Plumbing problems don’t always happen during 9 to 5. There are occasions when issues happen late at night and on weekends. When you need a fast and professional emergency plumber – no one gets there faster than us. Don’t forget you are eligible to receive either a $50 discount or pensioners 15% discount off your bill.
All our plumbers are not only fully licensed and insured, every plumber is fully qualified to tackle any and every plumbing job you have.
We specialise in all plumbing problems including blocked drains, sewers and pipes. We provide emergency services for everything from a flooded kitchen to a broken sewer. You are guaranteed of quality work and we stand behind each and every job we do providing you with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
For Fast, affordable, free quotes and special offers call now on 1300 896 508 to make an appointment.
Whether you are re-setting an old toilet following a bathroom renovation or installing a brand-new water-efficient toilet, removing and replacing a toilet is a simple and straightforward job that you can complete in a day.
Switch OFF the water before you do anything! If your bathroom doesn’t have a stopcock in the room, switch off the water at your main supply. Most homes will have the stopcock next to, or close to the toilet, switch it off and disconnect the pipes from your water supply to the base of the toilet cistern.
To empty out the remaining water in the toilet, keep flushing until the cistern is empty. Then use a dry sponge and a bucket to remove any water that is still left in the toilet bowl. You will also need some rags to wipe up any remaining water in the outlet pipe, it’s okay, this is clean water.
This is the *fun* part! If your toilet has been bolted to the floor simply undo the bolts to remove it. If your toilet has been cemented into the floor, you will need to chisel out the cement and then break the toilet off. Remember to wear a pair of safety goggles to protect your eyes from any flying bits and a good pair of strong gloves to protect your hands. Once the toilet has been removed, use a bucket of water and a cloth to clean the floor. Don’t sweep it up as you will only create more dust.
With the toilet removed and any excess concrete chipped off the floor you may encounter a *smell* coming from the outlet pipe, this is normal, just plug it up with some plastic bags while you work.
Fit the new toilet into the outlet pipe until it is snug, then fasten the toilet to the floor, pop the cistern of top of the base and fasten everything together, you will also need to fasten the cistern to the wall. While you normally use sanitary fixings or rawl bolts to fasten the toilet to the floor contractor adhesives works well too. You can use a glue to affix the base of the toilet onto the tiles.
You will now need to fix a new wax seal between the outlet pipe and toilet. If it hasn’t already been cut, cut it so you can fit the seal around the outlet pipe at the back of the toilet and push it into the main outlet pipe. Ensure there are NO gaps or holes anywhere as water will leak out and onto the floor.
And, now for the tricky part, when you buy a new toilet it won’t come pre-assembled, you need to put everything that fits into the cistern together.
When you are all done, connect the water supply, switch on the water and check for leaks. If you have any issues call 24 hour plumber 1300 896 508, or even better, let Plumbers Direct install or replace your toilet for you!
When you need an emergency plumber, Plumber’s Direct are Sydney most trusted service for all your commercial plumbing needs. Plumbing systems are complicated, and if you or your tenants notice anything that seems wrong; blockages, knocking, leaks etc. call the team of emergency plumbers on 1300 896 508. With a plumbing service available 24/7 you know you can call a plumber out at any time of the day or night.
When you need help with repairs, upgrades or general maintenance, Sydney calls Plumbers Direct – they can take care of all your plumbing needs –
Leaking showers and taps –
these drips and leaks add to your water bill. If you think you have a leak – perhaps due to complaints of high water bills, call Plumbers Direct and have your system looked at.
Leaking toilets –
not only can these leaks be noisy and irritating, but they are also wasting your money.
Burst pipes and leak detection –
over the years we have helped many agents in Sydney deal with and fix broken, leaky and noisy pipes. Pipes that have burst or are leaking inside your home or business are both dangerous and can be a huge hassle. Emergency plumbers can resolve issues and look for any possible trouble spots.
Blocked Toilets –
are your worst nightmare. Not being able to use the toilet properly, especially if your tenants have a restaurant to run, is a problem you don’t want to suffer. It’s a stressful time, but Plumbers Direct can fix the issue fast and have the venue back to normal in no time.
Blocked, overflowing or cracked drains –
at Plumbers Direct we can solve issues inside your home and under your home.
Gas Fitting –
gas is NOT a do it yourself weekend job, call in the professionals – they can help ensure the security of your premises when it comes to installing a gas line.
Roof Guttering and Downpipes –
Plumbers Direct are specialists in installing, cleaning and repairing downpipes and guttering. Bad gutters and downpipes can cause damage to structures, we can get in and solve the issue before any major damage has occurred.
Hot Water repairs –
it can be quite expensive replacing a hot water tank, let Plumbers Direct take a look first, they may be able to save you hundreds of dollars and repair the problem, rather than replace your old system with a brand new one. Simply call and arrange a consultation, one of our team will be there at a time convenient to you.
Kitchen and Bathroom renovations –
we offer stress-free residential and commercial kitchen renovations that can improve your kitchens plumbing and appliances, with a simple, hassle-free process that gives you peace of mind. New bathroom? We can cover all aspects of your bathroom’s plumbing, so you get the best appliances, installed the best way possible.
These are just some of the reasons Sydney real estate agents choose us for all their plumbing needs. Call today on 1300 896 508 to discuss your problems or issues.